EDITH WESTON RECREATION GROUND (TOMMY'S CLOSE)
A BRIEF HISTORY OF EDITH WESTON RECREATION GROUND
In 1925 this 3 acre field was donated by Mr Thomas Hill to Edith Weston, "in Trust for recreation of adults and playground for children and youths".
No working financial capital was gifted.
The facility is a safe and enjoyable place for the small children of Edith Weston and the neighbouring community ie Army families en route to school etc, and for children and grandchildren visiting the village especially during summer. It also adds to the amenity of Edith Weston for many cyclists and walkers who travel through the village as they meander around Rutland Water. As such, it is the only play area that local children have and it is greatly valued.
The play area was created as the village Millennium project, now 15 years on it is in need of maintenance in keeping with ROSPA safety specifications. There is a mandatory annual inspection.
Without cash for the project, the continuation of the play area is under threat and we would be most grateful for your support and a contribution towards the cost of making good the ground area underneath play equipment.
MARCH 2021 UPDATE
In March 2020 due to current challenges, the Trustees of the playground closed it with a plan to reopen in March 2021. The condition of play equipment has degraded and has now been removed for safety reasons. The Trustees have decided to renew the playground with a new play equipment design to span a broader age range of children.
We now need to raise a large amount of money to fund the new playground
Peter Shepherd (Text 07587 771347)
PETER SHEPHERD (CHAIR & TRUSTEE)
ANNE DONALDSON (SECRETARY & TRUSTEE)
HELEN SHEPHERD (TREASURER & TRUSTEE)
LES ALLEN (TRUSTEE)
BEN GREEN (TRUSTEE)
CHRIS PATER (TRUSTEE)
NOTE: for additional information concerning Trustees please look here
A TIMELINE OF EVENTS
1925 Indenture of Tommy's Close document. Land purchased from Mr Hill.
3 acres 3 roods and 32 perches
1937 Conveyance document. In Trust for recreation of adults and
playground for children and youths. Signatures include Makey and
Tyler. Our understanding is that "Thomas Hill" was Vendor.
1937-80 General correspondence
1949 Charity Commission document – New Trustee appointed
1975 Charity Commission document – Trusteeship for "5" years
Names include Makey, Tyler and Boddington
1991 Wayleave Consent for electricity in Tommy's Close
2000 Plan of proposed play area, drawn by James Richardson
Full documentation is in the care of Mrs Anne Donaldson. Should you require access, please fill in a request form here
Tommys Close Deed (PDF, 2.1 Mb)
Original deed for Tommy's Close - 29th July 1975